**UPDATE March 31st, 2020: Governor Ralph Northam Executive “Stay at Home” Order
To reinforce the Commonwealth’s response to COVID-19 and in furtherance of Executive Orders 51 (March 12, 2020) and 53 (March 23, 2020), the Governor Ralph Northam issued Stay At Home order. Please see click here for details.
In efforts to protect our staff and citizens, the Town of New Market will be closing the Town Hall, to include the Police Department, to the public effective Wednesday, March 18th, 2020 until further notice.
The Town of New Market is closely monitoring the latest information and recommendations concerning the Coronavirus (COVID-19) in order to use the best practices to prevent the spread of the virus to protect the health and welfare of its residents, visitors, and employees. By reducing our person to person contact, we are adhering to the CDC recommendation for social distancing and encouraging citizens to do the same to help reduce the spread of the coronavirus. Using widely accepted guidance provided by expert public health officials, such as the Virginia Department of Health (VDH), and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Town of New Market is focusing our efforts on continuity of operations, including law enforcement services, refuse collection, and water and sewer services.
In order to provide services during this time the following will be implemented for the Town Hall:
- The town office staff will be available Monday-Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. to serve the public via phone 540-740-3432 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We realize there may be an influx of phone calls, so please be patient, as we will get to your phone call in the order that it is received.
- This website hosts helpful information that may answer any questions or concerns, as well.
See the categories below for information on how business transactions will be handled:
Payments: Payment for the following bills: water/sewer, personal property & real estate taxes may be paid via phone during business hours, mailed to PO Box 58, New Market, VA 22844, or via the drop-box located to the right of the front entrance, which is open seven days a week, 24 hours a day.
New Water/Sewer Accounts: Please call the office for assistance with this process.
Business Licenses and Renewal: For new businesses, you can find the business license on our website to fill out. Call the office if you have any questions. For current businesses, use the drop box or mail your renewal.
*Reminder that business license renewal deadline has passed, and a 10% late fee needs to be added to your renewal fee.
Permits and applications: Please see our website for information on forms/applications. Completed forms may be put in the drop box or mailed with payment. Please contact the office if you have any questions or concerns regarding the application.
Public Works Department & Water Department
The Public Works Department & Water Department will NOT be limiting their services; however, they will be limiting their person to person contact and adhering to recommended precautions to help prevent the spread of the virus.
New Market Police Department will be implementing the following changes:
- Reports will no longer be taken while inside the lobby or within the building of the Police Department. An officer will accompany the individual outside. When possible, the individual needing the report can remain in their vehicle or at least 6 feet away with the officer standing outside their vehicle.
- Police Department staff will not be doing fingerprinting for citizen related to non-criminal matters.
- Any calls such as: minor incident reports, intel reports, assist citizen calls, may be handled via phone.
- If the call for service requires an in-person police response, when feasible, we will handle the call outside of the buildings, houses, or enclosed structures. We will ask all involved parties to meet with the responding officer outside to provide the necessary information. Meeting outside will enable us to be mindful of social distance (6 feet) and protect all parties involved.
If you have a non-emergency situation, please call the non-emergency phone number 540-459-6101.
These precautions are not intended to cause fear or panic for staff, officers, or the citizens we serve. They are the standard precautions to limit the spread of the disease, especially to those who it may affect the most, such as the elderly, sick or those with compromised immune systems. We encourage citizens to be knowledgeable about the coronavirus and how you can help flatten the curve in how this virus spreads by taking recommended precautions.
We encourage the community to take the following steps:
*Stay calm and use common sense
*Wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
*Don’t touch your face (eyes, nose, mouth)
*Cover up when you cough, sneeze, or clear your throat
*Consider others with forms of non-contact greetings and maintaining a reasonable distance
*Disinfect highly used surfaces such as rails and doorknobs
*Limit physical contact with people that are sick, and if you are sick, please stay home.
Public Meetings & Community Events:
The Town of New Market hosts multiple public meetings and community events throughout the year. See below for any changes or updates to scheduled public meetings & community events.
Public Meeting Cancellations:
Public Meetings will be addressed on a case by case basis. We will update this site and use social media to inform citizens of any cancellations/changes.
Community Event Cancellations:
Community Easter Egg Hunt
Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast
Arbor Day Celebration
Independence Day Celebration Bingo Fundraiser
For future events we will continue to closely monitor the ever changing status of the Coronavirus and plan accordingly. Please keep up to date on any cancellations via the following:
For more knowledge about the Coronavirus and how you can do your part, please see the following resources: