The Town of New Market must appoint a Planning Commissioner effective July 1, 2018 through December 2018 to complete the term of Mr. Daryl Watkins. Mr. Watkins, who was recently elected to the Town Council, by law cannot serve as part of both bodies. Please review the description below and apply by contacting Town Planner/Zoning Administrator Alex Berryman no later than 12:00pm on June 4, 2018. Interviews will be scheduled for times convenient for both the applicant and staff.
Local governments according to the Code of Virginia must possess a Planning Commission that advises the community’s governing body such as the Town Council. Thus the work of the Planning Commission largely involves reviewing and making recommendations regarding the comprehensive plan, conditional use permit applications, conditional rezoning applications, and amendments to the zoning ordinance. Feedback and input from the public at minimum is obtained through the holding of public hearings as required by state law. Planning Commissioners work closely with the Zoning Administrator, who partners with the Chair of the Planning Commission to structure meetings and serves as a liaison between property owners and the Planning Commission.
- Town of New Market residence
- Knowledge and experience relevant to making decisions regarding land-use and development
- Source: § 15.2-2212 of the Code of Virginia
- Ability to attend quarterly evening meetings with at least 5 days’ notice and workday meetings with greater notice (Evening meetings may increase to monthly)
- Willingness to attend Virginia Tech Certified Planning Commissioner Program June 22 and August 27, 2018 in Harrisonburg, Virginia
- Interest in serving beyond December 2018 and working closely with the Zoning Administrator
- Alex Berryman, Town Planner/Zoning Administrator